This is (I guess) a healthier version of apple crumble as it doesn’t contain any pastry. Just fruit and nut Can easily be turned into gluten free (just substitute regular rolled oats for GF). My kids love it, especially Zoe (she just can’t get enough ). My hubby discovered it long ago on Bellini Addicts (so you need Bellini or similar appliance if you wish to follow this recipe exactly… otherwise, simply “translate” and you’ll be able to make this using whatever appliance you normally use for something like this). Anyhow, we fell in love with this apple crumble and have been making it regularly. It’s quick and easy and I usually make it for kids for breakfast before school. It only takes about 30 minutes and this includes apples cooking, crumble making, and finishing the dish in the oven. I suppose you can substitute almonds and walnuts for any nuts of your choice. Similarly, you could probably use maple or golden syrup instead of honey. A really quick, easy, healthy, and (most importantly) yummy breakfast idea!
- 350g Granny Smith apples (ca. 3 apples)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100ml water
- 30g raw almonds
- 80g walnuts
- 20g coconut (can be either shredded or desiccated… whatever you’ve got in the pantry)
- 40g rolled oats (gluten free if gluten intolerant)
- 50g honey
- Preheat oven to 160˚C.
- Peel, core and quarter apples.
- Use chopping blade for all below steps. There is no need to swap blades or wash Bella in between the steps.
- Add apples to Bella. Sprinkle with cinnamon, add water, cook 10 minutes, speed 2, 90˚C.
- Chop cooked apples 10 seconds, speed 5. Transfer into an ovenproof dish (I use a round dish, 22cm diameter, 5cm high).
- Now put almonds into Bella and roughly chop on speed 6 for 2 seconds (I find I need to repeat this step in order to achieve roughly chopped almonds… I guess this is up to you… the crumble should be “rough”, but in the end it is your choice).
- Add walnuts and chop everything, again speed 6 for 2 seconds (repeat if necessary).
- Add coconut, oats, and honey. Mix 20 seconds, speed 3.
- Scatter the crumble evenly over the apples. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes (or until the crumble is golden in colour).
Vanilla yogurt pairs great with this apple crumble.
RECIPE IN PICTURES